Friday, June 17, 2005

Act III Commentary

Okay, I know I'm pushing, but I want to be done before Sunday afternoon. I have an incentive. We are going to see it performed for Father's Day.

Scene 1

While reading this, the humor of their fumbling practice session was lost on me. But after looking back over it, and actually imagining some real stumbling around on stage by real actors, I can envision how truly funny this could be. I guess this is why these plays actually get acted out!

It is quite ridiculous to suggest that the actors announce that they only pretending to be their characters. This is obvious to everyone, except to these "actors." That is quite funny!

Scene 2

Oberon doesn't seem to be a cruel character (other than insisting he get the boy), but still he takes pleasure in hearing that his wife has fallen in love with a "monster." Puck's language is dramatic and expressive, which fits well with his character, and makes the idea of the match even funnier.

This scene seemed to be mostly a huge bickering session. Insults flying back and forth, name calling, and the threat of physical violence are all emphasized by the length of it all.

In true form, Puck enjoys watching and hearing the conflicted lovers argue and threaten each other. I liked the contrast shown between this attitude of Puck's and Oberon's, which was genuinely sorry for causing it all. Clearly, we won't have to wait long to see that "all shall be well."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home