Saturday, June 18, 2005

Act IV Commentary

Scene 1

This is more than comedy. This is absurdity. A queen fairy stroking a donkey-headed human, who revels in it all and starts making demands of the attendant fairies?! I can't wait to see this performed!

Once Titania and Oberon were dancing, I wasn't actually sure whether they were dancing to wake the four sleeping lovers or dancing while they slept. Cliffs' commentary set me straight: dancing while they slept, marking a harmonious reunion.

I found it a little beyond comedic to read the several speeches between Theseus and Hippolyta regarding the sound of the hunting hounds. While reading, it seemed to me that Hippolyta's description of hearing them is quite put on, rather like the emphasis one uses when they are madly in love with someone. Surely this is the purpose. They are to be married very shortly.

Here we see many references to "dreams." Each of the characters that awakes wonders if it was all a dream, but is not sure. Surely, it would be easier to believe if it were.

Scene 2

During my first reading, I didn't quite understand that these "actors" were expecting added money for their performance, since now two additional couples were to be married at the same ceremony. They were upset at losing out on such rewards, since Bottom hadn't returned yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home